Sunday, July 6, 2008

Gloomy Sunday


This could be my new theme song.

"Gloomy Sunday" was written by Hungarian composer Rezso Seress and lyricist Laszlo Javor.
The song drew little attention until 1936, when it was supposedly connected to a rash of suicides in Hungary and allegedly banned there. Soon American musicians and singers were recording their own versions of "The Hungarian Suicide Song", serving to further the urban legend that surrounded the tune. Seress would take his own life in 1968.
The most popular American recording is probably the one by Billie Holiday.
I prefer the version by jazz great Paul Whiteman (with Johnny Hauser).







Here are those cheery lyrics :
(Most English-language recordings have used these Sam Lewis lyrics)

Sunday is gloomy, my hours are slumberless
Dearest the shadows I live with are numberless
Little white flowers will never awaken you
Not where the black coach of sorrow has taken you
Angels have no thought of ever returning you
Would they be angry if I thought of joining you?

Gloomy Sunday

Gloomy is Sunday, with shadows I spend it all
My heart and I have decided to end it all
Soon there'll be candles and prayers that are sad I know
Let them not weep let them know that I'm glad to go
Death is no dream for in death I'm caressing you
With the last breath of my soul I'll be blessing you

Gloomy Sunday


Wow!, now I'm really depressed.
Maybe I'll go walk the dog. That might lift my spirits.

No comments: