Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mothers' Day!


Mama Tried

First thing I remember knowing was that lonesome whistle blowing
And a young man's dream of growing up to ride
On a freight train leaving town, not knowing where I'm bound
No-one could change my mind but mama tried

One and only rebel child, from a family meek and mild
Mama seemed to know what lay in store
In spite of all my Sunday learning towards the bad I kept on turning
Mama couldn't hold me any more

And I turned twenty one in prison doing life without parole
No-one could steer me right but mama tried
Mama tried to raise me better but her pleading I denied
That leaves only me to blame 'cause mama tried

Dear old daddy, rest his soul, left my mom a heavy load
She tried so very hard to fill his shoes
Working hours without rest, wanted me to have the best
She tried to raise me right but I refused

Click image below to hear Mama Tried as performed by New Riders of the Purple Sage (w/ special guest, Bob Weir), recorded at the Fillmore East May 15, 1970.















No comments: